Bookmark and Share

Thursday, April 14, 2016

Days 11, 12 and 13 April Poem a Day



I can't believe it is Day 14 of April Poem a Day tomorrow. I have had a very busy week and writing two poems a day added to this. But I am posting the poems I wrote the last three days. If you are reading them and have a comment you can scroll to the bottom of the page and comment there. Your comment may not show up right away, because i moderate them. Be patient. 

Thank you to all who have commented on any of my poems. I am thrilled you are reading them and I enjoy sharing them with you. 


April 11
Prompt: Write a poem about defense or defending something

In Defense of 

The Arctic is melting
islands of ice floating
it's our fault for believing industry 
was all and the atmosphere would 
heal itself -- like a flesh wound
and now we are stuck with defenseless
animals who must find a way to live
in this changing world
we are not defending their lives
as we should, but instead we are
allowing this to happen
watching as species after species
finds it impossible to live in their homes
places where they have lived for eons
and they see the safe world in which
they lived and raised their young
disappearing as the icebergs melt
polar bears separated from their 
babies as the ice floes move 
farther and farther apart
they are our canaries
we are under a time crunch
for our lifestyle will soon be
up for grabs if the climate keeps
changing and spring moves from winter
to summer in a matter of days
while those who think only of money
defend the notion that this is not manmade
that of course the climate will change 
cite instances from history
but it is inevitable and can't be defended
It is changing and many don't hear the rumble
as the canary dies and the opening fills up with sand.
copyright 2016 by Barbara Ehrentreu




April 12
Prompt: Two for Tuesday: Write a poem about silliness and/or one about being serious

Let's Be Silly

Let's be silly today
act like seven year olds and 
turn in circles until the room spins
only say we are okay and bump
into the wall giggling as we go

Let's be silly today
leave our grown up cares behind
and live in the mind of a five year old
exult in the longer days so we can play outside
slam our bikes into each other 
caterwaul in glee as we glide around
a five foot area joyously

Let's be silly today
Let's crawl under a blanket tent
and pretend it's a jungle 
squeeze the day until 
joy pops out all over the place
uncontained and glorious
copyright 2016 by Barbara Ehrentreu




April 13
Prompt: Use Last___
Last Night

We visited you as we had done for days
seeing your strong body deteriorate
and your hands shake so much I had to
feed you the small amount your withering body
could handle -- a joke of a meal, a few sips of soup
and yogurt, then pudding, spooned into your mouth
plastic spoon reminding me of spoon feeding our daughters
pale as the hospital sheets your face stared back at me
trying to be the man I always knew
and then you looked over at us
the small group assembled there of me and your girls
your whole life standing before you
and with eyes bright with tears you motioned us
towards you encircling us with your arms
still able to move 
and you said how much you loved us
in a voice thin as paper
you whispered to me how much you loved me
had always loved me and thought only about me
you gave your usual advice to each daughter and
one last hug
I could feel that hug around me as I 
said goodnight to you
see you in the morning 
our usual goodnight
you wanted to die, had mentioned it all week
and now the hugs -- though I pushed it away 
the thought -- a demon in my head-- told me
this was the last time I would ever feel you
next to me and I knew when the curtain dropped 
on our life the next day -- this was your final encore
copyright 2016 by Barbara Ehrentreu



Until the next time I hope you are all writing poetry, but if you aren't I hope you are reading poetry. One book of poetry everyone should read is Lost and Found by Phillip Matthew Roberts. Recently he received this awesome review for this book. He is going to be my guest author on Red River Radio Tales from the Pages on April 28. You are not going to want to miss this show. Mr. Roberts is not only brilliant and funny, but he is an excellent guest as well. Also on the show is Nicholas Maze another excellent author.

Also, for any who don't know about it there is World Poetry Open Mic every Friday night at 10PM EST. Come over and read your poem on the air to fellow poets. All are welcome. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Visit the Home of the Fightin’ Bookworms!
Visit the National Gallery of Writing
Shop Indie Bookstores

VisualDNAShops

BlogCatalog

Discover Writing